Sunday, December 9, 2012

LAQs #2 "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck

GENERAL:
1) This story is about a man and his simple-minded friend that he looks after and all they want is to live their dream of owning their own land together but instead they face problems that can't alway be fixed. The narrative shows the authors purpose by showing that it isn't always easy to fulfill a dream but when you have someone by your side it can make it much easier.
2) The theme of the novel is to know the importance of friendship and not to listen to what people say because if you do you wouldn't know the true meaning.
3) The tone of the story is compassionate.
1- "But I wouldn't eat none, George. I'd leave it all for you. You could cover your beans with it and I wouldn't touch none of it. "
2- "He won't do it," Lennie cried." George wouldn't do nothing like that. I been with George a long time. He'll come back tonight."
3- " Couldn't we maybe bring him in an' they'll lock him up? He's nuts, Slim. He never done this to be mean."
4)
Setting: This technique shows how hard it is to live to try and fulfill their dream.
" I ain't sure it's good water," he said. "looks kinda scummy." (pg. 3)
Imagery: The author uses this to show their surroundings of their living space.
" The red light dimmed on the coals. Up the hill from the river a coyote yammered, and the dog answered from the other side of the stream." (pg. 15)
Personification: The author uses this to show also how their surroundings were. " The sycamore leaves whispered in a little night breeze." (pg. 15)
Symbolism: This technique was used to show how Lennie was innocent an all he wanted was rabbits to care for. " Let's have different color rabbits, George. Furry ones, George like I seen in the fair in Sacramento." (pg. 15)
Tragedy: This technique was used to wrap up the story but also showed the message of the story after George dies. " Lennie jarred, and then settled slowly forward to the sand, and he lay without quivering." (pg. 102)
Conflict: The author uses this to show what Lennie had done and what his consequences would be. " Guess...we gotta tell the...guys. I guess we gotta get 'im an' lock 'im up an' be nice to 'im." (pg. 89)
Tone: The author uses this to show how Lennie cared for George and George cared for Lennie just as much. " Because... Because I got you to look after me, and You got me to look after you, and that's why." (pg. 13)
Characterization: The author uses this to show Lennie's character and how he is with George.
" I won't get in no trouble, George. I ant gonna say a word." (pg. 15)
Syntax: the author also used this technique to show how Lennie is slower mentally than George.
" I ain't done nothing, George. Slim says I better not pet them pups do much for a while. Slime says it ain't good for them; so I come right in. I been good, George." (pg.52)
Suspense: The author uses this technique to make us wonder what will happen after Lennie killed Curley's wife.
"Curley came suddenly to life. "I know who done it...." (pg. 92)
CHARACTERIZATION:
1) One example of direct characterization is when the author says that Lennie didn't know any better after hurting Curley's wife. Another example of direct characterization is when Lennie hurts the puppy he knew he would've gotten in trouble by George of he found out.
An example of indirect characterization is is when George finds out Lennie hurt Curley's wife he knew things wouldn't end well for him. Another example of indirect characterization is right before George shoots Lennie, Lennie has no idea what will happen to him but dies happy in the end. The way the author used the characterization of George and Lennie helped me understand how George was always trying to help Lennie because Lennie didn't always know better.
2) The author's syntax and diction does change when George is talking to when Lennie is talking and shows how Lennie isn't as smart and is more like a kid talking than when George talks and knows right from wrong.
3) The protagonist is a dynamic character because at the beginning of the story he want to own his own land and wants to do whatever it takes to make it with Lennie but at the end he realizes that the only way Lennie will be okay is if he lets him go peacefully without knowing what he did wrong. This makes him a round character because he changes through the story and realizes what's best for Lennie.
4) After I read the book I felt like I did come away knowing the characters and I understood what made George do what he had to do at the end of the story so Lennie could die happy.
" Lennie said. "I thought you was mad at me, George."
"No," said George. "No, Lennie. I ain't mad. I never been mad, an' I ain't now. That's a thing I want you to know."

No comments:

Post a Comment